Best resin for clear castings?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      DS

Hey all!

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I’ve been using Ice Resin for some months now, only to realize that the pieces I first cast (almost a year ago) have YELLOWED significantly. They started out nice and clear, but they’ve definitely turned yellow – and they were stored in opaque black jewelry pouches, away from light, heat, or moisture! I don’t understand it.

But I’d been trying to find an alternative to Ice Resin anyway, so I guess this would be just the incentive for me to do so.

Does anyone know of a good epoxy resin for making clear dome rings and bangle bracelets? They need to be clear (not colored) because I mostly just embed stuff in them. So my criteria are: 1) cures hard and 2) remains clear. EasyCast is too soft, so I’m going to stay away from it – any other suggestions welcome though!

Thanks, all!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi DS, I’m sorry to hear you are having problems with your castings. Unfortunately, all resin castings are going to yellow with time. Some do it sooner than others, but they are all going to eventually develop a yellow tint.

That being said, we do have a resin buying guide detailing the resins we sell on Resin Obsession. After reviewing it, I’m happy to help you with additional questions you may have about choosing a resin. https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-buying-guide/

DS

Thanks, Katherine!

I think I’m going to try out the resin obsession one, or the alumilite clear.

In your experience, how do they compare in regards to hardness? Also, how do they compare in terms of aging, and color? The ice resin castings are seriously piss-yellow. They’re not even just slightly yellowed like an old lucite ring or something.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

The both cure very hard. The biggest difference between the two is the viscosity after they are mixed. The Alumilite Amazing Casting resin will mix much thicker than the Resin Obsession super clear resin. The super clear resin is best suited for molds, whereas the Alumilite resin can be used as a doming resin.

Both resins have the potential to yellow over time. You can minimize this by minimizing exposure to sunlight and heat when not in use. I can’t necessarily say one will yellow more or less than the other.

James

Yea, that’s the unfortunate part. Your blue bracelets will someday be blue-green, thanks to the yellowing. They have said that Art Resin has the least yellowing, thanks to an additive called H.A.L.S. They say that the blue stars in the cosmos have 10 x the ultra violet radiation that our sun ( a yellow star ) produces!!! This means that resin pieces would turn not yellow, but BROWN in a matter of just a few WEEKS!!! Those blue stars put off enough collective radiation that it effects us all HERE!!!
      Now the problem with Art Resin is that, from what I’ve seen, it isn’t all that HARD when dry. It may have no “shrinkage” at all. There should be at least a slight trace of shrinkage, because without that, orgonite won’t work. From what I saw on YouTube, Art Resin has the consistency of soft bendy rubber. Would that make effective orgonite? A little input would be much appreciated. Thank you. ~ M.J.M.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi James,

I don’t think soft and bendy would make an effective orgonite. Since it’s something that may be handled frequently, I think people are going to expect it will hold up to that kind of use.

The Resin Obsession super clear resin is what I would use for a project like this. You can find it in several sizes in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Best resin for clear castings?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube