dipping earrings while preserving hole

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 6 months ago by Clinton Gallagher @tapABILITIES.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tereze

i have earrings that dangle from an ear wire. I want to dip the earring in resin without the hole filling up. Do I have to somehow plug the hole with silicone or rubber? (How would I do that??!!) if I hang them from the ear wires would I just dip without letting the hole get into the resin? Any suggestions for how to do this? Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Do you want the resin to be on the front of the earrings or both sides?

Tereze

I wanted both sides – that’s why I wanted to dip, not brush on. I haven’t used sprays but I feel like I have no control over them and they go everywhere but on the piece!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Since you want both sides, what I would try in this case is to create a rack that things could hang from. I would use a ‘wax coated toothpick’ through the hole of the earring. (I don’t know if there is such a thing, but a toothpick should fit through the earring hole nicely and resin won’t stick to wax.) After dipping, I would suspend the toothpicks on the rack to let them drip dry/cure. Did I make any sense?

Clinton Gallagher @tapABILITIES

Following up with Katherine’s suggestion to hang the pieces I would try melting some birthday candle wax onto string or yarn the same size as the hole and thread a piece through each hole before you dip the piece in resin.

Trim the front side as close as possible and drip a dro[p of wax to seal the hole. You can use an x-acto blade to carefully scrap wax from the surface of the front side of the piece you are going to dip.

On the back side leave enough string to grab with a tweezer. Dip your pieces. When the resin begins to cure it will begin ti get stiff. You can tell when by probing with the tip of the x-acto blade near the hole on the back. Then grab with the tweezr and pull the string out. You can use put a piece of stiff wire into the hole to hold the piece while you use the x-acto to clean the hole up on both sides.

Patience and stay focused

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘dipping earrings while preserving hole’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube