Resin finish on wood rings

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeanpaul

Hey guys!.. So i make wood skateboard rings and I am always trying different finishes. http://imgur.com/gallery/4LoBF The one on the left is my current method The one in the middle is a new method The last one is a mix of both. They are nice but not quite what i want. I saw what i think is an epoxy coat on a ring but im not really sure I tried brushing it on like on fishing rods but i didn’t get the edges to look like the ones in the picture.

The finish on my rings is done with CA glue and will crack over time and the more coats I build of CA glue the more it tends to crack. You can tell if you look at the edges of the 2nd ring it looks like its in a little bubble . I would like to know how to achieve that finish on my rings.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi JeanPaul,

I’m not sure resin is the easiest way to finish these. Have you tried a clear polyurethane or acrylic one part sealant (aerosol or otherwise) for these? I would expect the resin to pool and do a lot of dripping on these rings. There would likely be more clean up that what it’s worth. 🙁

Jeanpaul Beyaert

What do you think the ring in the second 2 pictures in my link uses as a finish?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It looks like the ring may have been cast in another mold with epoxy resin. It looks too perfect for it to have been brushed on.

Jeanpaul Beyaert

Thats what i was thinking…, ill try it out and let you know what i find ! Thank you so much!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin finish on wood rings’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube