Resin Pigments Inhibiting Cure

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tory

Hi there. I’ve used EasyCast resin on a number of projects now and had lots of luck using powder pigments, but every single time I’ve tried to use CastinCraft liquid resin pigments the resin doesn’t fully cure. I even sat down and did a little experiment using the smallest possible amount of pigment–two or three tiny toothpick dabs, just enough to get a faint tint–and still the resin did not fully cure. I’m baffled as to why pigments marketed as being for resin, even used within the same brand, are behaving so incompatibly. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tory,

That is pretty frustrating. Here are a few questions I have for you to help troubleshoot the situation.

1. How much resin total are you mixing at once?
      2. What are you using for mixing containers?
      3. How old is your resin?
      4. How thick are your final castings?

Tory

1) This varies, anywhere from maybe 15 ml at a time to 40 or 50 (I do measure more carefully than this but I just can’t remember the numbers off the top of my head!). The test batch I mixed recently was on the small side.
      2) I use the graduated plastic cups that can be found here at Resin Obsession for both measuring and mixing.
      3) I’ve had the bottles I’m currently using for close to a year now, I can only hope they were “fresh” when I initially got them. I’ve been using them periodically over the course of the year and even early on I was having this pigment-related difficulty.
      4) This varies too, I think the thinnest were about 4mm but others were up to 1/2″.

Most of these aren’t necessarily optimal but I’ve managed to get away with them when not using liquid pigments with these same bottles of resin, and they did cure then. That’s the part that strikes me as odd. Now that you bring up the age of the resin, though, I think that could be the culprit… Will do some tests with newer bottles and see what comes of it (and if it works then hey, my problem is basically solved and I just need to give up on the old bottles).

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tory,

Age of the resin is my concern. I recommend users only purchase the amount of resin they can comfortably use within a six month period. If your resin has collected moisture, that will certainly inhibit proper curing. Let me know how it goes with a new batch.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin Pigments Inhibiting Cure’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube