Resin popping out of a metal bezel pendent

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Kami Fasan

Hi there, it is my understanding that resin can be used to fill a metal bezel pendent without having to do anything special to prep the metal….but why would a resin piece pop out? Does the metal need to be sanded or buffed? The resin was fully cured, hard, clear and looked great. But when the piece dropped on the floor, not from a high hight and not very hard, the resin popped out? I also had a piece I made for my Aunt do this, and she was wearing it when it happened. This was a memorial piece using a loved ones ashes mixed into the resin, so I am wondering if maybe there was too much ask and it could not bond to the metal? Any tips for resin and metal? I am using the R.O. brand

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kami,

I’m sorry to hear the resin isn’t staying in. I have some questions:

1. Was the resin fully cured?
      2. How long after the resin was poured did this happen? (hours, days, weeks, months)
      3. What kind of metal?
      4. Was there anything on the inside of the bezel or did you use something to clean the metal first?

Kami Fasan

Yes it was fully cured, hard, shiny, no stickiness to it at all.
      It happened a few weeks after it was made
      The metal is a “zinc alloy”
      Nothing else was inside the bezel, no dust, no dirt, just the metal bezel

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kami,

I’m talking to our chief chemist about this. So that I’m clear, the pendant was made of a zinc alloy metal.

What was the color of the metal? (trying to figure out if it was treated with something)
      Anything else besides resin in the bezel? (glitter, paper, glue, etc.)

Kami Fasan

yes there was some powder in it, I make memorial keepsakes from dehydrated umbilical cords (ground into powder) or preserved breastmilk for moms who wish to have a keepsake made. I also make them from cremated ash remains as a memorial for a loved on who has passed. I have made MANY and always using your resin and never had an issue until recently. Perhaps I used a bit too much ash (this one was a memorial piece for a deceased grandfather) and it could not adhere to the metal? Although it did cure fully and was hard, not sticky at all. it was in a sic alloy bezel pendent, silver in color. I also had one made with breastmilk come out of its bezel…that one I do not know the type of metal I am afraid, it was a silver color. But it as well was fully cured, hard, not sticky.I am moving on to working with only stainless steal or sterling silver plated items, I hope with better quality metals I will get a better adherence of the resin?

Kami Fasan

*zinc alloy (typo)

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kami,

So what appears to have happened here is that something (the bezel, powder, or combination of the two) acted as a mold release. By itself, the resin sticks very well to metal, so somehow, there wasn’t enough of a ‘grab’ by the resin to keep it stuck to the pendant.

I will forward this information to our chemist to see if he has any ideas as well.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kami,

In talking to our chemist, here are some other ideas:

If there is powder in the cavity then the epoxy won’t have good adhesion. If a metal is coated with a lacquer that has not been fully cured or with a high gloss coating, the adhesion will not be as good as it should. I suggest the following:

A) Abrade the metal surface if it feels slippery, then wipe it with an alcohol
      B) Wipe all pieces abraded or not to ensure to contaminations
      C) If metal is coated with lacquer, heat cure for 1 hour at 150F prior to applying the epoxy

Let me know if any of these suggestions work for you on future castings.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I would also add that it might be worth adding a little bit of the clear resin, without any powder, to the bottom of the bezel to make sure it adheres well. I would expect the next layer to adhere to the resin better, especially if the first layer of resin isn’t fully cured yet.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin popping out of a metal bezel pendent’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube