00-50 Shore Hardness and two part molds

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Molds and moldmaking 00-50 Shore Hardness and two part molds

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katherine Swift 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Sean

So, I’ve looked over a few of the posts, but couldn’t find anything answering my specific questions/s and I hope someone might be able to help me.

It was suggested to me by a local supplier to use Smooth-On Eco-Flex 00-50 for a two part mold on a sculpey figure(sulfur-free) that is 4in X 3in x 6in.
    Should I be making a single pour immersion type mold? I’m worried that the 00-50 will be too soft for the keys or two halves to fit together without warping or being offset?

The reason I ask is that the gentleman also suggested I not use any sort of mold release…despite everything I’ve seen while researching this form of mold making and how silicone will bind to silicone.
    I didn’t question it because I didn’t want to be that person that said “But I read on the internet that…(fill in the blank)”. Ha
    Maybe I should have?
    (Either way, I bought mold release!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

• #25058 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Sean,

It sounds like you talked to Smooth On directly about this? I have always thought there tech support was very good and am a little surprised to hear they wouldn’t want you to use a mold release.

Reply To: 00-50 Shore Hardness and two part molds
Your information: