A few sticky resin spots on table. Is there a hack to avoid scraping it all?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Shanda Trent

I created a collage on a large table top using modpodge. My first coat of Envirotex Lite cured just fine.
      After a couple weeks, I had time to pour a second coat. A few spots on the first part of the table remain tacky.
      Obviously I hadn’t mixed the products well enough. Scraping the entire section of table will be a nightmare.
      I am hoping there might be a hack that could save me work and heartache.

Do either of these sound plausible?
      1. Create a new collage on top of the sticky areas, seal well with modpodge, let dry, and recoat with epoxy?
      2. Use shipping tape to cover the tacky areas, and epoxy the whole surface of that section of the table.

Any other ideas? Thank you so much.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

If it only tacky, you can recoat with another layer of well-mixed resin and everything should be fine. You will need to recoat the entire surface though, otherwise, you will notice a difference in the depth of the layers.

Shanda Trent

Thank you. I’ll give it a try. I was reluctant, because the Envirotex website says the old resin must be scraped completely. Going to mix extra well this time!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

If you resin is simply tacky (like touching tape) you will be okay. If the resin is gooey, then yes, you would need to scrape.

Ben

I’ve also had the same issue its sticky in some spots and gooey in others. I didn’t mix it well enough and ran out of working time as i didn’t mix the right amount to start and was working in a rush hence not mixing well enough.

I’ve tried scrapping off and i have just made a bigger mess of things. I just want to get it back to the wood underneath and sand and start again. Any one able to help.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

HI Ben,

Getting all the resin off is going to be a ton of work. I would try a belt sander (wear appropriate safety gear) to get the resin off.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘A few sticky resin spots on table. Is there a hack to avoid scraping it all?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube