Adding Cremated Ashes to a Resin Pendant

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Teresa

A friend of mine asked me if I could make a “memorial pendant” of her sisters cat.  I told her yes, assuming it was a picture of the cat.  Now, I find out she would also like a clipping of the cats fur and some of the cremated ashes included in the pendant.  I dont have ashes to do some practice pendants with, so I could really use some exact instructions on how to add these types of items to the resin pour.   Any advise is greatly appreciated!  🙂

Katherine Swift

Hi Teresa,

Ive never worked with ash remains, but what little I know about them, they seem to have the heaviness and consistency of chunky sand.  Assuming thats the case, I would suggest trying to use the technique in this resin seashell tutorial:  https://www.resinobsession.com/Resin-Tutorials/248/Seashell-resin-jewelry-and-magnets.html

Your ashes are obviously very dry already, so you can skip the first step.

Monica

How did this come out?

janice

yes – ashes are like a gritty sand. there will not be a lot of ashes for a cat but there again you will only need a pinch or so.
      I am thinking of doing similar with some of my own cats remains
      Janice

Teresa

Thank you for the tips and the tutorial link!  …oh and sorry about posting the same forum post a gazillion times.  It must not have showed up right away, so my OCD kept kicking in!!!   :/     

Jimena

Thanks so much, I want to do something similar with smashed umbilical cord, but I don’t want the particles on the bottom of the mold.. I want them floating in all the resin… how can I get the right “texture” of the resin. I think that waiting before put the particles…. but I’ve wait an hour and then put the smashed umbilical cord (like sand) but after a few hours they sank into the botom too…. Do you have any tip? Thanks! (I’m from Chile… sorry if my English isn’t so good).

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Wait until your resin is somewhere between gel and cured. The best way to know is to keep some resin in your mixing cup and check it regularly (every 30 minutes or so) until it’s thick enough that the particles won’t sink.

Shannon

I have experimented in past with resin adding micas, embedments, etc but I too don’t want a failed attempt in making a jewelry piece using my mother’s ashes.

I have previously poured resin into molds, waited for it to come to gel state, and then added mica powder etc and used toothpick to suspend it within. After that cures, I have found finished product is better if I add a second resin layer. I have also used this process and 3 part layered piur

In theory, do you think process above could be done with human ashes? Or perhaps accelerating the curing process? I’m concerned that the ash will gravitate to the bottom or top. Equally concerned the ash will become layered and not suspended in a fluid manner. I want to avoid air bubbles at all costs.

Katherine Swift
            Keymaster

I have not worked with cremated ashes, but others tell me part of the ashes have the texture of sand. Perhaps it would worth trying a piece with sand or something similar as a practice piece.

Shannon

Hello Everyone..
      I’m planning on doing a resin painting with some of my dads ashes, he passed away last year.
      Yes, the ashes are very sandy. I’ll have to stick with the finer ashes.
      Thank You Everyone for sharing all your information.

Ronni Suarez

Hello!
      I am trying to add my uncles cremains to a resin pendant for my grandmother as a keepsake. Did anyone figure this out and have pictures to show how I could go about this? I have worked with beach sand inside shells, as the example showed above. In my experience, I just kept adding sand to the shell through the curing process for the sand to show. If you want, email me and I will send you pictures of how that turned out. But for my Uncles Ashes, they seem to be a bit thinner and finer than the beach sand. So I don’t want to add to muh along with my 3d printed filament lettering that I am throwing into the first layer. Any adivce and help, I wold greatly appreciate it.
      Thank you!
      Ronni Suarez

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Adding Cremated Ashes to a Resin Pendant’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube