Advice for Resin-ing Metal Cross Collection on a Light Oak Cross Shadowbox

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Desiree

Hi Resin Obsession & fellow resin-ers! I need advice, thoughts, experience, recommendations, and/or concerns for metal & wood. I have a collection of irreplacable crosses from my beloved deceased relative & I have an oak cross shadowbox I want to use as my template. I will arrange the cross collection on the shadowbox & resin/hardener it. I have never resined metal or wood before, let alone together & my heart would break if it didn’t finish perfectly & I ruined my keepsake crosses. Please enlighten me thank you!

Desiree

And I am only familar with Envirotex Lite Pour On High Gloss Finish

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Desiree,

What a great project! Before you tackle it, I would suggest feeling very comfortable with the resin first. That includes making sure you are able to get the resin to cure properly. Here is a link to some beginner articles to help you get started: https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/beginner Once you have a good handle on resin (and its quirks)

For your project, the Resin Obsession artwork resin is a good choice. It’s designed to give surfaces a glossy coating. You can buy it here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin

Desiree

Thank you for your reply. I’ve used Envirotex Lite on 5 picture frame/shadow boxes, that included a collage of sea glass & sea shells I’ve collected on my travels, they are lovely hanging in my windows. I don’t find that it cures with an amber tint thankfully. I’ve also unfortunately used Envirotex Lite in glass vases containing my sea glass & sea shells, I was uneducated at that time & it cured with bubbles & my keepsakes were hardly visible. I have never used a heat gun to rid the resin project of bubbles, can I use a hair dryer on the low setting?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, you can use a hair dryer, although I find it still has a lot of ‘force’ behind the air. Be careful that you don’t blow resin everywhere. As you found out, Envirotex Lite mixes so thick that it is only meant to go in thin castings (like the surface of your box). Otherwise, it is impossible for the bubbles to rise to the surface.

Desiree

Could I possibly cover the interior space of the shallow cross box using wax paper & masking tape, then situate my keepsake crosses, then pour Envirotex Lite, then hair dry blow the bubbles out, then let cure, then be able to remove the resin cross from the wax paper/masking tape/cross box, to end up with a resin cross containing my crosses w/out the shadow box attached?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, but then why would you need the box as the template? I’m not following there.

Desiree

To have the end result be in the shape of the cross shadowbox.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Ah, understand now. Yes, if you tape the wax paper down well, it should work out fine. You may have to fix some creases after it comes out of the box.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Advice for Resin-ing Metal Cross Collection on a Light Oak Cross Shadowbox’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube