Air trapped in mold?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Stephanie

So I’m trying to make dice for the first time. I’m using the dice molds made by House of Molds. Before even starting I watched many videos and prepared the best I could. One video was even made by Resin Obsession using the same molds. However when going to pour my resin, air stopped it from entering the mold. I poked at it with a toothpick and eventually got the resin in, but it was taking far too long and I was worried my resin was starting to set. There was no way I could fill all my molds in time. So I’m wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. Is there something I’m missing? Is there a trick that could help?

I’m not sure if this is a factor, but I’m using Castin Craft polyester casting resin. I do have the catalyst and followed the chart printed on the back. I poured 100ml and added fourteen drops of the catalyst. Is there something I’m doing wrong? The resin didn’t heat up like the instructions said it would.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Stephanie,

I’m sorry to hear casting dice is difficult for you. Let’s see what I can do to help.

Are you using a toothpick to guide the resin into the mold? You can pour along the toothpick while holding it in the center of the mold. That will help you get more poured quickly, before the resin starts to cure.

For what you are doing, 14 drops of catalyst is more than what I would use. I would drop it back to 10 to 12 for the next pour (if you are still mixing 100 ml). It will take a little longer to cure, but should still cure without any problems. You will have a longer pot time for the resin to get used in the mold.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Air trapped in mold?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube