Alcohol ink creating skim coat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Judy Crosby

I have been working with resin for about a year. I have tried 5-6 different brands and I’m having the same issue with all of them. After pouring the resin into the silicone mold I add drops of Piñata brand alcohol ink in various colors and allow them to spread on the surface, then swirl them together to make a design or bloom. Most of the time when I swirl them the ink has dried on the surface making a skim coat on the top that sticks to my tool (I’ve used a silicone tool, a metal tool and a toothpick) and lifts out leaving only a little color on the resin. Any idea what the cause is? It doesn’t seem to matter if I pour the resin immediately after stirring or wait until the working time is almost over, or whether I swirl them together right after placing the drops or after waiting several minutes for them to spread. I have watched hundreds of videos of people using the same technique and I have only seen it happen a few times but it was never addressed. Since I have tried several different brands of resin I think it has more to do with room temp or something like that. I have searched the web and can’t find anything that mentions this issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Alcohol ink creating skim coat’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube