All finishes are sticky!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine

Ive tried three different glossy finishes and my bracelets all end up sticky! Even weeks later! I tried the castin craft spray and the bracelet was incredibly sticky for two weeks. I tried a clear acrylic spray with slightly better results but it was still sticky/tacky after a week. Two bracelets I used this on I wore anyway, and they are permanently fused together. For both of these sprays I followed the instructions exactly and I live in a fairly dry area.

Finally, I used the brush on resin method. I did this three weeks ago and if I leave them on top of each other, they get stuck and they feel slightly sticky. Im frustrated and at my wits end! I have a ton of gorgeous and unique pieces that I cant finish and start selling. Im in grad school and really need the extra $$. What else can I do?
      Katherine Swift

What are in your castings or what are your castings made with?  I havent experienced a situation where these methods left items sticky for days.

Katherine

Most of them are just colored, and I only used the minimum amount of colorant in the castings. The others have fabric, which I sealed with modge podge beforehand. Its weird because the castings themselves cured perfectly and were not remotely sticky, but the resin I coated them in is still sticky. Im super careful about measuring when I mix, so its just all around confusing.

Katherine Swift

Hi Katherine,

As for the resin, it may be that it wasnt in a thick enough layer for it to cure.  Resin cures by generating heat, so it may be that the layer was so thin that it didnt get warm enough to cure. 

I would try the gloss sealer spray again.  It can (and should) go on in thin layers and should dry completely.

Katherine

Ill try the sealer spray again, since its warmed up enough here to do it. Ill let you know how it goes!

Katherine Swift

@Mindy,

When it comes to sticky resin (especially for newbies), I would say 75% percent of the time it comes down to either not measuring accurately or not mixing thoroughly.  I know in the beginning, I thought I was doing a good enough job, but not really.  Here are a few things to check on:

1.  Use measuring cups with graduated lines to measure.
      2.  Mix for at least 10 percent of the pot time, scraping your cup and sticks several time during the process.
      3.  Mix the minimum amount required by the manufacturer.  (I doubt that is the problem here for your bracelet, but resin requires heat to cure.  If you dont mix a minimum amount, curing wont occur).

How are you doing with these steps?

Mindy

Katherine I am having the SAME problem. Have you been able to find a cure to the stickiness? I am fairly new to resin jewelry making, but I bought one of the bracelet molds, and it came out really cool looking, but after over a week it is still very sticky.. it has charms inside and filled just with resin.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🙂 Mindy

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘All finishes are sticky!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube