Applying resin to a decal

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from David:

I have a 3 1/2″ square decal with fragile printed ink on the backside which
      has a waxy paper surafce. I’m wanting to preserve this special keepsake in
      resin for future generations to see. Can you please tell me what supplies I
      need to do this. Also, I’ve heard that resin yellows over time. Is there a
      special resin product or procedure to use in order to prevent yellowing?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi David,

I’m afraid resin isn’t a good choice for this project. Resin sticks to many things, but wax isn’t one of them. The resin will not adhere to a waxy surface. Even if you encase the entire item in a resin block, there will likely be an air pocket between the sticker and the resin which will distort the surface and make it hard to see.

Have you considered preserving the sticker between two pieces of glass? I think there are ‘keepsake’ frames that would work well for this.

David

Hello Katherine,

Thank you for the response. While I do understand that “resin will not adhere to a waxy surface” as I had originally described. There is a considerable difference between “wax” and a slick “paper” surface which would have been a better description by me. Yes. I have considered using two pieces of glass. But, I do prefer the final appearance of one solid clear block that will be created using resin. Aside from the slippery surface issue, however. I am more concerned about the potential of resin yellowing in future years. Again, can you please recommend a specific resin product and/or procedure to use in order to minimize the potential for yellowing?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Unfortunately, all resins are going to yellow over time. Resins with UV inhibitors and stabilizers help extend the time before yellowing occurs. However, things such as mixing off ratio (even though it still can cure without tackiness), putting over an improperly cured lacquer, excessive heat, and or constant exposure to sunlight can speed up the yellowing process. How long the epoxy will last in its clear state is very difficult to predict. You should expect that at some point, this item will yellow.

If you are still interested in trying resin for your project, I would recommend the Resin Obsession super clear resin. It mixes very clear, is meant for molds, and if you are careful in mixing, bubbles are almost never a problem. You can find it in several sizes here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

As for a mold, a paperweight style mold would be my guess for your decal. We have several sizes in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/molds/paperweight

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Applying resin to a decal’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube