applying resin to a haribo ring

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from N:

Hi Katherine, I’m wandering if you can help me, basically I want to apply resin to a haribo ring. As I plan to propose with it, I have joked about this for years and I think my partner will like it. I want to make it so she can wear it for a while until we can go shopping and pick out something more suitable. Hope you can help. Thanks, N

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi,

What a cute idea! While you can do this, I’m not sure it is going to hold up long term.

To coat the ring with resin, would suggest propping up the ring on toothpicks coated in wax. You will want to coat the ring with resin and allow the excess to drip off. By making sure the toothpicks are coated with wax (or have wax tips) the ring will remove. Resin doesn’t stick to wax. Otherwise the ring will stick to the toothpicks. You may need to sand off drips after it has cured.

I do have a couple of concerns about your project. First, resin hates moisture. I wouldn’t expect there to be enough moisture in the ring to cause a problem, but I can’t be absolutely certain. Second, when I have used food and candies in resin, they may spoil months later. You can see what I’m talking about here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/putting-candy-in-resin If I were to try this, I would see if I could put the ring in a food dehydrator first. I don’t know if this will change the ring in anyway (color, texture, brittle, etc.) but I want it to be dry. I would then coat it with a couple layers of our resin gloss sealer spray. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray That will keep any moisture in and the resin out. Hopefully, that will keep your ring looking great.

If you try this, would you mind letting us know how it goes?

N

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for you response, sealing first is an extremely good tip! I guess the next question is which type of resin do I use once I have sealed?

Thanks,
      N

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You plan on coating it with resin, not using it in a mold or bezel, yes?

N

Hi Katherine,

I really don’t know what to do, I have no idea what those methods are. What would you suggest is the best option?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Coating it with a layer of resin would likely be easier unless you can find a mold that is an exact fit.

N

Hi Katherine,

Ok that’s what I will try, can you recommend which resin I should use?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Any doming resin will work. If you aren’t going to need resin for any other purpose, then the ICE resin plunger should give you enough to do what you want to do. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/ice-resin-25-milliliter-kit-plunger-dispenser

N

Hi Katherine,
      I’m not based in the U.S, it looks like the ice resin plunger is available here, however I’m unable to find the resin gloss spray. Would something like this “Plasti-kote 24000 400ml Premium Spray Paint Gloss – Clear Acrylic” work as sealer?
      Thanks,

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I’m not familiar with that spray. If it is a clear, acrylic based spray, it should work.

Shazza_cavewoman

Hi do we know if this worked I’m planning on setting one for a friend … I do however want to try first with acrylic based sealant spray… I’m setting it into a pyramid mold
      Regards shazza

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘applying resin to a haribo ring’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube