Applying resin to a metal flower

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Michaelene:

Hi Katherine. I receive your newsletter and love it. I have a question. I bought a beautiful metal flower embellishment which is about 8 inches in diameter at Hobby Lobby. I bought it on clearance and just love it. I want to use it as the hanger portion of a windchime that I want to make. I also want to protect is from the elements. Resin was my first thought. I work with resin a little. ( I do some cool things with compacts). Anyway, do you have any suggestions as to how to apply the resin. I seem to remember you can’t brush it on. If this works, I plan on going back and snatching up the rest of the beautiful flowers.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Michaelene,

Thank you so much for the kind words. 🙂

As much as I would love to say resin is the best choice here, I’m not sure that it is. All resins will eventually yellow. This process is sped up by UV light exposure, which it sounds like your flower will encounter. I would try to find something made for outdoor use (paint, varnish, etc.) to make your flower more element resistant.

If you do want to dry resin, yes, you can brush it on. Allow your piece to sit on wax paper and move the piece frequently to allow the drips not to pool under the piece. You can also try balancing it on something like this

https://www.resinobsession.com/forums/topic/looking-for-tray-to-help-with-dripping-resin

If you decide to give this a try, would you mind letting us know how it goes?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Applying resin to a metal flower’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube