Applying resin to a tabletop

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Pat:

I have an antique mahogany table that is 62 inches by 39 inches. I have done ALMOST perfect epoxy pours on small pieces of artwork, but going to this MUCH larger table has been more of a challenge than I can manage. I saw info that suggested it would be best to mix epoxy resin in two batches when the project is this large, so I mixed half and poured, and then mixed up the other half and worked like I was two people. Ugh! I think it might have worked, but my culinary torch quit working in the middle of all of this. I have a new one now.

The top edges are curvy and the slope of the sides of the table is like two little hills. I have taped those edges and will deal with them later. Do you have a suggestion about how to deal with these edges?

This table is in the middle of my den because I have nowhere else to work on it. I am motivated to get it done, but I don’t want to mess it up again. It’s hard to take a good picture of it because my den has skylights and there is a lot of natural light.

Thank you for any advice that you can throw my way!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Pat,

I’m having a hard time visualizing the top edges. Are they something you can tape as well?

I agree that projects this big can be rather daunting. Do you have another person that can help you mix the resin? Still mix in two batches, but you mix one and the other person mix the other. That way all the resin can get mixed and applied at once.

Pat Tyson

The curvy/sloped edges are covered with painters’ tape. I hope I’ll be able to remove it when I get to that stage. It’s hard to get a good photo with all of the reflections. Husband has offered to help, but he has issues with using a culinary torch in the house…ugh. Can’t do this without a torch. I have some neighbor friends that I might enlist to stir the second pour of epoxy. Project is on hold and in the middle of my den. Thank you for your advice!

Trina Brown

I think I have a similar problem. Though my table was made by my great uncles in the 1950s and unfortunately, on of the side epoxy has separated from the top and I want to repair it. I also want to epoxy the 2-3” ring underneath the table that they didn’t cover. The broken glass they used as filler between the petrified wood pieces keeps ripping clothing. I’m terrified of messing it up. I’ve never had an epoxy project before. I’ve been putting this off for fifteen years.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

When you say separated, do you mean the epoxy has popped off the table or the glass?

Trina Brown

I guess you could say the broken beer bottle glass. I have pictures.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Can you link to those pictures? That would help.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Applying resin to a tabletop’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube