Applying resin to faux leather

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Fabienne:

Hi, I’m not sure if this is even a resin type situation? Thus I’m not sure if you can help, but I’m thinking of building a cabinet with faux shagreen leather/vinyl inserts… my question is would I cover the leather/vinyl insert with a resin to give it that hard finish? And if so, which type would you recommend for this situation? The furniture that I have seen already made using this method – has a hard finish, however you can still feel slightly the small raised area of the shagree texture, so I’m not sure if it’s even a resin finish??

faux leather

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Fabienne,

I’m not sure if resin is what others have used on a project like this, but it’s certainly something you could do. You could do this one of two ways:

1. The area looks like it is recessed yes? You can pour a clear doming resin into the area. It will give you a thicker coat (~ 1/8 inch), but you will likely lose the appearance and feel of the texture.

2. You can brush the same doming resin onto the surface. It will pool more in the cracks then on the surface, but you will likely still have that ‘bumpy’ appearance I see here.

Either way you try, I would make sure the inside is taped securely to keep resin from running on the inside of the furniture. Once the resin has cured, you can peel away the tape.

I would love to see pictures when it’s finished!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Applying resin to faux leather’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube