Ashtrays?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rae

Hello! I’m looking to make resin ashtrays or get clear glass ones and put designs on the bottoms of them and seal with resin…. If I were to make them totally out of resin would they be heat resistant enough to hold up to someone putting a cigarette out in them? If not, what could I cure them with to make them more resistant… And which resin would be best for a project like this?

Thanks in advance!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Rae,

I haven’t tested anything like this. If I wanted to try, I would use a polyester or polyurethane resin. They do well with the heat and friction of power tools, but I don’t know about cigarette butts.

Rhonda J Hunter

My husband was a smoker, and he used our resin coasters for ashtrays. The ones that didn’t melt had large brown/black burn marks.

Andreas Henry mack

I will try the same…I think about a small glas plate as bottom in the resin ashtray????

Molly

Hello! I’ve recently started to make resin art, the resin i use is from Epodex and i find its really good. I’ve started to make coasters and was wondering if once cured would hot drinks being put onto the coasters damage them at all?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Molly, probably so. Unfortunately, resins aren’t designed to take the heat of a super hot mug.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Ashtrays?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube