Attaching cabs back to back with resin?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jade

I have the Little Windows small mold with ovals, squares, and circles. It works wonderfully btw, if you’re considering it I highly recommend it!
      I want to make the ovals into beads. I tried casting them and then doming the back, and it works, but the curve on the cast side doesn’t match the curve on the domed side. Lovely as it is, that’s going to bug me.
      I’m envisioning taking two shallow cast cabs and sandwiching them together with a layer of resin in the middle to create one solid unit. My question is, are there any tricks I need to know to make this work without the resin leaking out, or having bubbles in the middle?
      Alternatively, would I be better off casting one set of cabs, demolding them, then pouring another layer of resin into the mold and placing the castings on top? Again, bubbles are my main concern.
      Has anyone done lamination like this, got any wisdom to share? If the answer is simply “go futz, take notes” I’m down for that, but I figured it’s worth asking. 🙂

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Have you considered using E6000 instead of resin? https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/e-6000-epoxy-jewelry-adhesive There is a video on that product page that shows you how to use it.

Jade

I use E6000 a lot, but for this I really want the pieces to be solid resin. If I can get the lamination to work well, it could be done in such a way that embedments would be visible from both sides. E6000 is very clear, but the difference in refraction would cause visual distortion.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I don’t know how you are going to do this without resin leaking out of your ‘sandwich’. If your resin is bubble free before you put it on the cabs, I would expect it to stay that way between the cabs. You could possibly try squeezing the two pieces together, then waiting to trim any resin that comes out of the sandwich once it hits the soft cure (rubbery) stage.

Rhonda J Hunter

I have done this. Make one cab and demold. Make the second, and lay the first one onto it when the resin starts to set. You will have to trim the edge and sand and buff it smooth, and may have to give it a coating of resin spray sealer to get it nice and shiny. I also laid an eye pin between the layers for a connector, to link it later. Much easier than drilling a hole.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Attaching cabs back to back with resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube