Attaching earring posts

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sarah

Hi there
      I’ve made some beautiful transparent resin earrings and I want to attach earring posts.
      Normally I would buff my opaque pieces and attach the earring posts with e6000 glue.
      However with the transparent pieces I can’t buff them as it will show through the earrings.
      I’ve tried attaching the posts with e6000 without buffing and the posts just aren’t secure & come off.
      How would you guys recommend I go about attaching these earring posts? Maybe attach it with a bit clear resin instead of the glue, will that bond better?
      Thanks in advance

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

Yes, you can use mixed resin as an adhesive in this case.

I’m surprised to hear the E6000 isn’t working for you as that’s what I use. Are you waiting a couple of minutes after applying the glue before pressing the two parts together? I don’t know why that is important, but I know when I don’t do it, pieces won’t stay together.

Sarah

Hi Katherine
      Thanks so much for getting back to me I really appreciate it.
      I normally use e6000 on my buffed (not sure if this is an industry standard term but I really mean sanded a little to create a porous surface) opaque pieces and it works really well.
      Being completely honest ive only used it on one pair of transparent earrings and maybe I was a little over zealous then and tried removing the butterfly back off the attached post after only 24 hours rather than wait the full 3 days it specified.
      I also wasn’t aware about waiting a couple of mins after applying the glue and pressing the two parts together then so I’ll definitely try that then.
      So would you say e6000 works just aswell on resin pieces that aren’t buffed and have a shiny back to attach the earring posts?
      Is resin stronger to attach the earring posts with?
      Thanks so much
      Sarah

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

I like using E6000 because you can peel or cut off the extra once it is completely cured. Because of that, I tend to use a little more than you might need because I want to be sure I have a good hold.

Epoxy will be stronger, but then you have to worry about cleaning up extra. I also suggest using a five-minute epoxy (in a syringe at the hardware store) so you don’t have to keep your posts in place for hours before the resin starts to cure.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Attaching earring posts’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube