Best resin for fishing lures?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike

Hi, I am looking to make fishing lures from resin. Currently I make them out of wood on a wood lathe, and then paint them, and then coat them with epoxy. So, I would like to replace the wood with resin. So, these are not bendable lures, they are hard (look up “pencil popper” on Google and you’ll see what I mean).
      Anyway, would you recommend epoxy resin, vinyl, or polyester?

Mike

Sorry. You probably assumed this but I will be taking one of my wood lures and making a mold out of it, then casting using… whatever is the correct resin type.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Mike, for a project like this, clear polyurethane resin is best. You can cast it with your wood if you want and use it on a lathe as well. (Think pen blanks.)

We don’t sell a clear polyurethane in our store, but instead recommend users go to alumilite.com. They have several to choose from. Good luck with your lures!

Mike

Thanks for the response. Ok, I have a couple of followups.
      “You can cast it with your wood if you want…”
      What do you mean by this?
      Also, in discussing this, my wife would also like to make some things :), small jewelry, paperweights, etc.
      Would we use the same resin? Id like to keep it simple (and less expensive)

Mike

Oh wait. I just realized. Im not sure if your response about using the clear poly resin was because you thought I wanted to use it on a lathe. That would not be my intention. I would create a silicon mold and create the lure from that mold.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Polyurethane resins cure harder, which I expect would make it a better choice for your purpose. (I don’t fish.) I know Alumilite has several articles about making fishing lures, so I expect they could give you a specific resin recommendation.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Best resin for fishing lures?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube