Botanicals encapsulated

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris

We would love to try these so the question is …do they need to be dried first? If like ferns were used green, then wouldn’t the resin prevent any deterioration? A bit like being mummified? 🙂

What’s best practice?

Thanks

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Chris, I’m not an expert on this, but I did try drying flowers and putting them in resin at the beginning of the year. Here’s a link to my results: https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/drying-flowers

Les

Hello! Your website is so helpful. Any recommendations for encapsulating a slice of a morel mushroom in a polyurethane resin with a brass or copper backing and bezel? My intention is to make it into a belt buckle. Question is, do I dry the mushroom first? Can I expect the polyurethane to discolor it? Any other thoughts much appreciated!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You are going to have to get the mushroom as dry as possible. Polyurethane especially does not like moisture and will not cure if there is excess moisture.

Diana

I have made a few paperweights with floral inclusions. I dried them in silica first but did not spray with resin gloss spray. So far, it has not changed color on me. If I encapsulate them without spraying first, will they eventually lose their color?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

If your flowers didn’t change color right away, then I would expect it to be awhile before they changed color.

Diana

Katherine,

Is it likely that my flowers will change color eventually if encapsulated and not sprayed first with gloss sealer? Asking so that I don’t waste any more time making these only to have the colors fade.

Thank you.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I don’t think so. The pieces I did over a year ago with flowers haven’t changed much that I can tell. It seems like if they didn’t change right away, I can’t tell that they have changed at all.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Botanicals encapsulated’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube