Botanicals in Resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      TomT

I grow native wildflowers and have been searching for a good way to preserve their beauty for indoor display. Drying and pressing is fine, but they don’t hold their colors well and look…dried. I’ve seen daises/roses in blocks of resin that look good and vibrant. My question:

What is the method for preserving a full botanical specimen (roots to flower) in resin? Figure a size of 6″ x 12″ flattened.

My uneducated idea is to do a dry in silica gel, flattening without pressing completely, pour a thin layer of resin into a mold made to size, let set, lay the botanical onto the first layer and pour a second layer of resin to cover the plant, maybe another 1/2″. So the final product would be a clear flat block less than 1″ thick, encapsulating the botanical, which could then be framed for display.

Any and all help or guidance much appreciated. I grow these from seed and they’re worth spending the extra time and money to preserve their beauty for others and year-round viewing. Thanks.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tom,

I think that’s as good a plan as any. You want everything to be as dry as possible so it doesn’t interfere with resin curing.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Botanicals in Resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube