Bubbles at Resin Surface

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kayla Burke

Hello,
      I have been making resin for 3 years now and have recently came across something I have never seen before. I keep getting bubbles on the surface of my resin after it has cured. The bubbles are not deep within the casting, but lots are appearing on the surface (where the resin would be in contact with the silicone mold) Since the bubbles are on the surface, it creates small holes on the surface. I am not sure why this is occurring. I am using an epoxy resin with platinum silicone molds. I am running a dehumidifier in my workspace and a heater, since I live in the Pacific Northwest. The only thing I can think that has changed is the temperature and humidity where I live, but I am trying to keep my work environment stable.
      Any suggestions or thoughts on why these surface bubbles are occurring?
      Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kayla,

Sometimes this can happen if the warm resin is coming in contact with a cold mold. Try warming up your molds with a heat gun before casting.

Kayla

Thanks for the advice Katherine. I will try that!

Jovi

Did it work for you? I’m having the same problem but heating the mold did not fix it. Could it be that my funnel in the mold for pouring resin is too small so air bubbles cannot escape?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Bubbles at Resin Surface’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube