Bubbles in resin with silicon mold

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Brittney

I have a little octopus mold (1.5 in deep, 2 in wide) that holds about 1 oz of resin. I am using easy cast resin and am getting a ton of tiny bubbles. I am using alcohol ink to tint the resin to give it a “transparent color” and do not want to see all these bubbles. What could I do to eliminate the bubbles in the resin?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Brittney,

The first thing I would tell you is to make sure you are very careful and deliberate when mixing. The best way to not have bubbles in your casting is to avoid making them in the first place.

Next time you use the mold, warm it up a little bit with a heat gun. That will help to minimize any temperature differences that are causing bubbles to form.

When you pour next time, pour in a little bit of resin, then roll it around in the mold. This will help to break the surface tension and hopefully minimize bubbles.

Good luck!

Mary

I have had the same problem with many tiny bubbles. I used a lighter, and was able to get rid of them by holding the lighter over the resin and waving it back and forth until they disappeared. It took a few tries.

omid

hello i coating stone slab surface with resin epoxy for glow surface . i Heat the bubbles with heat gun. but when the resin start to tighten the flame remains intact. please guide me. if you have email i send photo to you
      thanks

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Yes Omid, if you could link to a picture, that would be helpful.

Red

I cast ( just testing and experimenting ) epoxy resin in silicone muffin pans. There were no bubbles in the resin when I poured. NONE. But as the resin cured, it was almost as if it had “fizzed.” I did a deep pour with Clear Cast 7050. The other times I used this resin, it did not have this “fizzing” issue!!! It really is strange. The catalyst is slightly yellowed. But the pieces I made were good, hard and strong. Other than the bubbles ( which formed along the bottom of the molds ) and the slight yellow tint ( which actually looks “pretty” ),they were perfect. I also need a way to buff and polish the pieces so that they are crystal clear. I have a scuffed up decorational “tower buster” on the dashboard of my car. This resin is GREAT. Been there on my dashboard for over two years and hasn’t yellowed!!! But in sliding around on my dashboard, the bottom has become “skuffed.” I need a way to polish it and make it shiny once again. Epoxy ain’t EASY to buff and make shiny again!!! Any helpful input about both of these problems would be so much appreciated. Thank you.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Bubbles in resin with silicon mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube