Bubbles when pouring resin into wood

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Larry:

I make a lot of Juniper furniture and Juniperhas lots of voids to fill. I have been making coffee tables that require a 2-3+” area to be filled with epoxy and usually quartz moss and other fillers. my problem istiny bubbles. I keep the area above 70°, I pour no more than 1/8″ at a time, I am meticulous about burning off bubbles for an hour + but still get lots of bubbles. I use Glaze Coat by Famwood. Should I use a different brand? I’m beginning to do more open space pouring so getting this issue under control means business sales. Any help is appreciated. I am a 64yr old guy that loves creating with epoxy but with the stuff I want to create I have to figure this out. Most of my furniture goes to New Hampshire. I live in central oregon.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Larry,

Greetings from Florida!

Based upon your description, I’m thinking there is air trapped within your wood that is trying to come to the surface after pouring. Your depths are good, but I’m thinking you might need a different resin. I have seen the Famwood resin in home improvement stores as a way to coat surfaces. In general, resins for coatings can be too thick for casting. Thick resin will make it harder to get bubbles out as well.

We had a similar discussion on the forum last week that I think will help you: https://www.resinobsession.com/forums/topic/what-clear-resin-should-i-use

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Response from Larry:

So far it appears that my bubble issues might be the brand I’m using but if I’m pouring 1/16-1/8″ at a time even what I’m using should be able to cure without bubbles.
      I’m still not sure what my problems are.
      To use your resin this last job would cost more than $1200 just for the resin. How can I get a clear pour yet keep the cost reasonable?

resin and wood table

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

The bubbles are likely coming from the wood after you are pouring. Make sure your wood slices are as dry as possible, then seal them with a clear drying acrylic based spray.

As for clear resin at a reasonable cost, I think you will be happy with the Resin Obsession artwork resin. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin Since you are pouring in shallow layers, you should be fine.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Response from Larry:

Thanks for the suggestion for using total cast. With just a 19 minute open time is there any estimate of how deep I can pour each time? I usually only do 1/16-1/8″ per pour. Will I be able to get bubbles out given these parameters? Sure appreciate your input. I’m hoping for much clearer results.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Larry,

Open time is closer to 10 minutes. Assuming you are:

1. Careful in mixing
      2. Experienced (sounds like you are)
      3. Pour in thin layers

Then yes, I would expect the TotalCast to do fine for what you want to do. The thinner layers will make it easier to get out the bubbles.

Larry

What if I put the mixed resin in a vacuum chamber 1st. Will that help remove bubbles? Do you think I could use the resin I’m using now since I have a longer open time?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

The problem with putting thick resin in a vacuum chamber is that, generally, you will get the bubbles to comes to the surface, but they won’t pop. I don’t know that using a vacuum chamber will help you.

You are pouring in thin enough layers that I would expect you to be able to get the bubbles out assuming you aren’t whisking the resin to mix it.

Jeffery Hogancamp

https://youtu.be/2PKn-59pHNM spray it with Acetone..

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Bubbles when pouring resin into wood’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube