buffing scratch from coaster mold

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      CL

Hi, Noticed small scratch on face of coaster mold. Would like to buff it out if that is possible. If I use something like an ash or toothpaste (both are supposed to be mildly abrasive?), will it negatively affect the surface of the item I pour next? (Im afraid that a flat spot will replace the scratch and the resulting poured piece will be glossy everywhere except for the spot I buffered out.) As you can see, I am very new to this craft. This site is a wonderful resource. Thank you, Katherine and all who post.

CL

Thanks, Katherine. Ill give it a whirl. The scratch is very small, but Im very picky—and yes, that does give me some stress. lol. I noticed that my mold also has several tiny, tiny bubbles where the lip of the coaster is located. it looks as if they developed in the making of the mold. Is that fairly common? or did I just get a lemon? Again, thanks!

Katherine Swift

Hi CL,

Im afraid there is no good way to get a scratch out of a plastic mold once its there.  You have two options:

1.  Purchase a new mold for your projects.
      2.  Plan on repairing the scratch on your finished castings.  Depending on how deep the scratch is, you can either coat that surface with another layer of resin or coat with a light mist of the resin gloss sealer spray.

Tennille

Hi

I have had small scratches on my moulds as well… I tried using "cut and polish" like used on Cars to buff them up and if you rub for a while it actually works, but only to take small scratches out 🙂
      Hope this helps
      Ten
      Katherine Swift

@CL,

Ive seen those before too, sometimes, but generally it doesnt affect the final casting.  If youre worried that it might, close your eyes and run your fingers over that area.  If you can feel a difference, then that will most likely impart onto your final casting.

CL

Thanks ladies—both Ten and Katherine! Heres the history—I didnt have the scratch when I made my first piece. I made the scratch myself 🙁 when I tried to remove a small spec of something(?) and the light brushing with my nail made the scratch. Lesson learned–these molds are sensitive. I think Ill try the second piece and see how noticeable the scratch is. Then –the rub out compound, if needed. Today is a good day to try my second piece. Ill let you know in 3 or 4 days –after I unmold! CL

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘buffing scratch from coaster mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube