Can I cover a clay pawprint in resin?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rochelle

Hi all,

I hope you can help me. I’m Rochèlle from the Netherlands and just started working with resin.
      I’m making simple jewelry to help raise money for a fund dedicated to research a specific animal disease.
      I’ve had some of my own animals (ferrets) that died from this disease and my vet made a pawprint in clay for me after they’ve been put to sleep.

This clay feels completely dry and is very light. To preserve it, I would like to cast it in resin. The question is, is this possible? I only have 1 pawprint I can spare to try this.
      Is there a change it will “rot” and how long should I wait to see if it really worked?
      I don’t know if I can upload a picture here to show you the clay?

All tips and tricks are welcome.
      Thanks so much in advance for helping me out.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Rochelle,

I’m sorry for your loss. It sounds like this has been tough for you.

I do know resin and clay work well together, although I don’t know if the clay needs to be sealed first. It’s my understanding as long as the clay has been properly baked, it will be fine with the resin. We have a tutorial using the two together here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/create-a-polymer-clay-and-resin-pendant

Since this project is so important to you, I suggest trying a few test pieces first with polymer clay and making sure you feel good about the results.

Rochelle

Thanks for the quick response and your help.

This clay is air dryed and not baked. I don’t know exactly what type of clay it is.
      How would I seal it? Just to be save

Thanks so much

Rochelle

Thanks again,

Unfortunately you can’t ship this item to the Netherlands. I have tried to order some more of your great products, but with certain items it isn’t possible. Do you have any other suggestions where I could buy it in Europe or a different product i could use?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I believe there is a resin retailer in the Netherlands called polyester shoppen? I don’t know them but have seen a video or two of theirs on youtube.

Rochelle

That’s true but they only sell resin. They don’t have any other products.
      But I know what I have to look for now. Thanks so much.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hair spray unfortunately will not work.

You can try an acyrlic based spray. That may work for you.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Can I cover a clay pawprint in resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube