Can I fix craters?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Christie

I coated an acrylic painting in resin and it worked well except that craters have formed. I suspect it is because there was silicone in the painting and I didnt know to wash and dry the painting first. I put on a second layer to try to save it but there are still craters. Is it possible to save the painting if I wash it with dawn, dry it and put on a third layer? Do you have any suggestions? Is it possible to save it just by filling the craters or would it have to be a whole new layer?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Try wiping the painting with a baby wipe. I wouldn’t want to use soap and water over the entire resin surface as I don’t know if any would permeate through/underneath and ruin the painting. Not likely, but not sure I would take that chance. Also if your resin isn’t completely cured, water will ruin it.

You can fill in the craters, but unfortunately, the surface won’t be level. You can try that first to make sure the silicone is trapped underneath, then once that resin is cured, cover the entire surface of the painting with another layer of resin. That will give you a smooth surface over the entire painting.

Christie

Thank you sooooo much for your advice. Much appreciated.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article explains how to fix holes and dents in resin paintings: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/fix-holes-and-dents-in-resin/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Can I fix craters?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube