Can I paint resin on foam core?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Sandra:

I was wondering if you can paint the epoxy resin using foam core as your canvas? Has anyone done this successfully? I’m looking for a material that I can cut myself with minimal tools and paint with the epoxy resin colors.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sandra,

I have never done this. I think it’s worth a try, but I do have a couple of concerns:

1. Resin heats up as it cures. I don’t know whether or not the foam core will distort at all during this process.
      2. Foam core can have a lot of microcracks and crevices in it. I would worry about bubbles trying to escape later into the resin.

I will see if I can get some other resin artists to comment as well.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi again Sandra,

I asked EliChem resins what they thought about your question. Here was their answer:

Hi Sandra,

Yes you can apply resin to foam-core board.

Our resins only exotherm to around 30 C ( 86 F ) which is not hot enough to cause any damage to the board surface.

A lot of foam core boards are thin and can warp / bend after resin cures on it.

I recommend you attach it to a stiff backing or support it from behind until the resin cures.

Becky

I am in agreement with EliChem. Bending will be an issue. I would do a small test piece first and see how it reacts once cured before doing a larger piece. You will definitely need some hard backing, the issue I see is being able to secure the backing to your foam core board securely. The larger the foam core, the more likely it is to warp. You can get inexpensive MDF boards at your local craft store, those won’t warp.

Jacqueline Hancock

I have just got a heap of foam core board which I am going to trial with resin. Since my foam core has a sticky backing I will try it out using mattboard as a backing and also try one without the backing. I will get back to you all when the work is done.

Karly

Did you ever try this? Did it work?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Can I paint resin on foam core?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube