Can I use resin to fill a crack in a table?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Dan:

Good afternoon Katherine, can I use the epoxy resin and colour to fill the void/crack in a harvest table?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dan,

In a short answer, yes, but here’s what you should know:

If you want to use power tools to finish the area, many epoxies cannot take the heat from that amount of friction and may get soft/melt. In that case you will want to use a polyurethane resin. If you are only going to do a little bit with power tools and/or by hand, an epoxy will be fine.

If you want the surface to be considered ‘food safe’, I recommend the Amazing Clear cast epoxy resin. It is considered ‘food safe’ after a full seven day cure. You can find it in several sizes in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/alumilite

Jim Ingram

I have tried using the Aluimilite Clear, and I have not had much success. I am getting a bunch of small bubbles – especially where the wood and the resin meet. I have even tried pre-sealing the wood with lacquer and poly as Alumilite recommended. It looks like the only way these air bubbles can be dealt with is using a pressure chamber for casting. Any recommendations on other brands of resin??

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Are you using the Alumilite clear polyurethane or clear epoxy? I want to be sure we are talking about the same resin before I offer advice.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Can I use resin to fill a crack in a table?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube