How To Be Happy At Using Candy In Resin – NOT!

how to use candy in resin
So you’re thinking about putting candy in resin? And why wouldn’t you? The bright colors and unique textures are just what your resin jewelry needs. (and your teeth don’t). But…

Click this 👇

There’s something you need to know first.

Yes. I’ve got a crafting horror story about using candy in resin.

These candy heart pendants were some of the first epoxy resin pieces I made. A local gallery took my candy heart pendants on consignment to sell for Valentine’s Day. After the holiday, I picked up the unsold ones and put them away for the following year.

Here’s what they looked like when I took them out 10 months later….

blemished resin pendant
The candy was spoiling in the resin. When I used the candy a year prior, I didn’t do anything to it before adding it to the resin.

Kinda ironic that this pendant says no way.

putting candy in resin
All the pendants didn’t spoil, but several showed blemishes. For example, here is one where the brown started on the top edge of the candy.

candy heart pendant

So what’s the fix?

Unfortunately, there isn’t anything I can do with these resin pendants.

But for all new projects, when I’m using candy in resin, I seal them now.

Always.

YES, it can get a little tedious. But I cringe to think of people who bought my pendants only to see them turn brown months later.

How do you seal the candy in resin?

Use a couple of light coats of clear, polycrylic spray. Lightly spray the candies. Wait 20 minutes, turn them over, and do it again. Repeat this process two more times, focusing on the sides of the candies.

Going through the experience of putting candy in resin taught me a critical lesson.

When in doubt, seal it before adding it to the resin.

If you’re unsure whether you should seal something, ask yourself whether getting the item wet will affect its appearance. If the answer is YES, seal it before adding it to your epoxy.

Hate making resin mistakes?

Ditto. Nothing hurts worse than making something with resin you wouldn’t show anyone. It’s why I wrote the ebook Resin Fundamentals.  I detail my 17 years of resin know-how into the necessary details you need to know to avoid mistakes like this. Buy the PDF book now, and a download link will arrive in your inbox in minutes.

Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2023 Resin Obsession, LLC

Like this post? You may be interested in  How To Resin Flowers Like A Boss

50 thoughts on “How To Be Happy At Using Candy In Resin – NOT!

1. Mistakes with resin? Why yes, yes i have made them. I wanted to make a coaster with these large glass gems i had and some glitter. I put a layer of resin down first then waited about 2 hours to put the gems in. I thought the resin layer had set up enough to support the gems. Nope! They all sank below the first level and my coaster looks like it has “ghosts” of glass gems. So sad but it was a good learning experience. 🙂

1. Hi Leatrice,

Have you retried this? How long is the ideal amount of time to wait before dropping the gems in?

1. Apparently, the key is to put the gems in first the drip the resin on top and between them but not enough to submerge the gems.

2. I have some wedding candies with sayings and pictures on them that I wanted to save – this might be the best way!

3. Oh yes, my candy sprinkles in resin seemed to grow “hair” after a few months and I was completely clueless. This explains it all. Thanks for the information.

1. I realize this post is a few years old now, but for people like me who are just now reading, looking for answers….. you can not put fresh fruit in resin wether or not you coat it!! Anything with moisture in it has to be dehydrated or it will rot, wasting your time and money!!!
      But these comments are extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone who asked and answered!!

4. Hi. I wanted to make a centerpiece for my window & I’m thinking of adding fresh lemons to resin. Now I will seal it first, thanks for the tip.

1. Hi Coop, unfortunately I wouldn’t recommend putting chocolate cake in resin. There’s no way to get it completely dry which means it will spoil. Maybe you can get someone to make a lookalike piece of cake out of clay? You can then put that in resin.

1. Wow so resin does actually heat up. I thought I was imagining it warming. Well if I experiment with the chocolate I will post the results. Thank you

5. I have a question do you have to use that gloss sealer spray on every candy/ food item even candy sprinkels

6. I’m wondering about putting chocolate in resin; can envision an Easter pendant with a small chocolate bunny on a bed of paper Easter grass. I’ve got paper sealer, but I’m concerned about what kinds of thermochemical heat the chocolate may be subjected to from 2 part resin.

1. I haven’t tried chocolate before, but I think your concerns are valid. I suspect it may distort a bit with the heat of the resin.

7. I’m wanting to use different candy in resin for a project I’m working on- do you think mike and ikes and peppermints are dry enough in the middle?

8. Hi, will the sealer distort any text on paper? I have a promotional lollipop my dad was given for an album he wrote and don’t want the words to get smeared. Thanks!!

9. Thank you for the advice on the resin spray. I never would have thought about how this would affect food months down the line. I just tried to do some m and m’s in a round mold. Unfortunately my picture I had in there also, got destroyed so it’s a failed piece. But next time I will do this

10. Hi,
    I’m wondering if you can help me. I have a lollipop sealed in plastic with a paper stick that was a promotional item given to my dad when he wrote this song for the title track on a major bands album in the 80s. It’s the last one I have. It’s very very important to me and I very much want place it in resin. How can I go about doing this? There’s writing on the paper stick that I don’t want to get smeared and the lollipop itself is getting a little gooey. I would even pay to have someone do this for me does anyone know how?

1. Hi Gem, this sounds like a big project! With the importance of what’s going on, I think this is best suited for a one-on-one consulting call. I do them by Zoom video for $20. If that’s something you would like to do, please send me a message through the contact us page.

11. So how do I seal the tiny cupcake sprinkles? Seems rather tedious but worth it, I guess. Just not sure how to do it. They will blow all over the place when I hit them with the clear spray paint…

1. Hi Melissa, try putting them into a plastic container, lined with wax paper, then spraying into the container.

12. hi. anyway i can find a spray sealer/finish to put lollies in resin in australia? u can’t ship it here and i can’t find anything else

13. Hi
    I’m making serving boards with dehydrated fruit in them. Should I seal those before too? Have you used fruit?

1. Just lay out the sprinkles and spray on them directly? I’m just confused about the process haha sorry! 🤪

1. Because they’re blow around, I put parchment paper in a box. Then add the sprinkles. You can spray them inside the box and it will keep them from flying everywhere.

14. Is it possible to just use acrylic spray to preserve candy such as lollipops and not use resin too? Would Modpodge work to seal the candy?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube