Cast an insect

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Robby

Hi!
      After doing many projects over the years with resin, I had to open my big mouth and offered to cast a large beetle into a paperweight that a coworker had found. After doing a bit of research, I realized it was going to take a bit more prep than I had thought. I dried the beetle for a few weeks and took the utmost care in this project so that I didn’t screw it up. Well, I screwed it up! I dipped in resin to get a coat on it so as to avoide air bubbles and the damn resin didn’t cure correctly! Of course! Then I further mutilated by experimenting to see if maybe it would be ok if encased in more resin….it wasn’t. So instead of fessing up to screwing up her awesome little beetle, I ordered one of the same type online (deadinsects.net !!!) and I’m ready for round two!!!
      Does anyone have experience encasing an insect and getting the resin crystal clear? Help!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Any chance the beetle wasn’t dry? I haven’t tried this but I’ve heard about others ‘drying’ insects in alcohol (then drying them out) before using them in resin.

Robby

Thanks for your response, I did actually have him in alcohol for the fort week and then had him sitting out for the remaining two. I’m pretty sure he was dry, but I don’t know of a way to say definitively.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Could you try casting a little bit of the resin as a test without the beetle? That will help me troubleshoot whether the problem is the resin or the beetle.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Cast an insect’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube