Casting resin in a tree for outdoors

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Elizabethe:

I would like to cast a miniature “pond” in an old dead tree root in the ground that has been hollowed out. (It is a very old tree.)

The cast would be only about and inch or two deep and about 2 inches wide and about 3 feet long except for one area that would be wider, about 8 inches.

I will put glass and stones in it so it will be mostly the glass and stones, just held together by the resin, and it will be outdoors obviously, so that it will have to be able to endure temperatures changes. I live in upstate New York, so snow for 6 to 6 weeks at at time, rarely temperatures over 95 degrees.

I would like to dye it a little blue so yellowing would not really be an issue.

Here are my concerns…it is humid here and even on a hot dry day the ground will be moist and the root will have some moisture in it, though it is long dead and not green growing wood. I can cover it, but I cab]n just about guarantee that it will rain in the following week.

What can cure under these conditions and still look clear like water?

It is in a lawn and just below earth level, so the lawn tractor will go over it but not touch it.

I am a beginner, but my husband has done some work with resins. I would be mixing and pouring it outdoors.

Can it harm the tree if I do this?

How long can it last?

Will I have to replace it, and if so how soon?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Elizabethe,

I’m not sure resin is going to work for your project under these circumstances. There are a few challenges here:

1. Resin hates moisture. There is no way to dry the tree stump, so I’m not sure the resin will cure.
      2. The tree stump is going to release a lot of bubbles into the resin while it is curing. I would not expect your resin to be bubble free after curing.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with using resin in this type of situation. A polyester marine resin would be what I would try first, but I would be worried about shrinkage/movement as the tree expands and contracts with the weather. I don’t know how much it will hurt the tree. If the stump is dead, I don’t know that you have anything to lose. It’s hard to say, however, how long the casting will last. It will definitely yellow over time and I don’t know that it will survive freezing temperatures without cracking.

Elizabeth Walton

Does anyone have another idea to hold the stones together?

Steve Urwin

I suggest you attempt to dry that root out first before you attempt your project. A gradual drying out so maybe contruct some kind of tent over the surface.Secondly,why not complete all your resin of stones etc first in shapes that will accomodate the tree root? That way you could have it all ready to go and the damp issue will not be. Problem

Laura Franks

I would make a mold or take measurements of the inside of the stump and pour the resin indoors. That way no chemicals will get into the soil, you won’t have curing issues and you still get what you want.

Marilee Hird

How about lining the root with plastic before adding the stones and resin?Excess could be cut away after the resin cures.

Dawn Gaye

A couple thoughts – why not try a very small “pool” of resin in a similar dead tree stump to see if it will actually cure? I’d experiment to see if this will work replicating conditions before doing the actual piece!
      Also, there is a type of clear resin-ish material that is used for dried flower arrangements to look like water but it hardens. I got mine at Walmart and it’s called “Acrylic Water Kit”. I think it is more “forgiving” and may not be as temperamental as our art & jewelry resins. I WILL say it yellows quite a bit over time but if you make the water blue, at the very worst case scenario, you’ll have water with a slightly green tint eventually:)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Casting resin in a tree for outdoors’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube