Casting three colours in flat mold

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Pete

Hi,

I’ve got a simple circular mould of a disk which I want to cast a yinyang in the middle.
      What method would you recommend to cast this?
      I’ve tried casting the yin and yang separately and then putting them in the bottom of the disk mold, but am having trouble with the final pour of resin seeping under the (already set) yinyang.

Help!

Thanks, Pete

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Have you tried working backwards? Instead of putting the front of the yin/yang face down into the mold, cast the resin so they are put in there last and looking up at you.

Pete

I haven’t tried that because the front side of the disk is convex (where I want the yinyang to be visible), so I need to cast that first in order to get the shape. The Rear side is obviously flat being an open mold.
      Is there another way of casting it?
      I have tried solvent based wax to ‘stick’ the yinyang to the bottom of the mold, and this worked to a degree, but it still doesn’t give a smooth transition between the colors. There’s a step or ridge.
      Maybe a layer of laquer or finishing product might make it look better?

Frustrated!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Can you point me to a picture of the mold? That would help me with ideas.

Pete

It looks something like this, but of my own design in RTV. Dimensions are 100mm across, 30mm deep.

https://picclick.com/Resin-Mold-Round-Dome-Disk-4-10cm-Epoxy-390919734730.html

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Casting three colours in flat mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube