Castings have a cloudy finish

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Resin finishing Castings have a cloudy finish

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anthony 4 months ago.

• Author

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

This question comes through email by Lisa:

This question comes through email by Lisa:

I am brand new to the resin world and am already frustrated..lol..I purchased your book and decided to make the button pendant using the silicone mold…welllll….it’s not shiny clear, that’s for sure..it’s rather dull and cloudy..as I was reading the forum, I grew increasingly more confused. Using silicone, no shine? Plastic, no shine? So, I have to finish each piece? Sanding? Wouldn’t the 600 grit cause scratches, not shine the piece up? I wet sanded the edges, but yuck! Dullsville for sure..the finished piece in your book is gorgeous and crystal clear..do you have a more detailed reference for uber beginners as myself? I’m one that needs lots of details…lol..I feel like I’ve missed something…help?

• #5622 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa,

First thing I will say is that I have been there too. Resin casting is a learning experience. The best advice I can give you at this point is to enjoy the journey. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Now, onto your question.

In general, castings made from plastic molds are not as shiny as those from silicone molds. I wrote about it in this blog post: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/plastic-resin-molds-and-silicone-resin-molds-whats-the-difference Our plastic molds are made for us by an outside manufacturer. The surface of the plastic varies a few times during the year. It may be that you have a mold with a duller finish, or perhaps you are super fussy like me and want that highly polished surface. For the castings you have, you have two options, you can either recoat with another layer of resin, or you can coat with a layer of our resin gloss sealer spray. http://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/Sealants-and-Polishers

This link is a video that shows how to use the spray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITsGX4PcPrE
    If you want to add another layer of resin, I like to prop them up on toothpicks, then layer the resin on top. This video shows how to apply another layer of resin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGnktjLr-O4 This discussion in our forum shows a picture of a DIY resin tray I like to use: https://www.resinobsession.com/forums/topic/getting-resin-to-cover-the-sides-of-a-pendant

A silicone mold will give you a shinier casting, IF the template used to make the mold was shiny itself. i.e., just because it is a silicone mold, it may not give you a shiny casting.

As for sanding and finishing, I would not sand the pieces, but instead try the two methods above. There are some other options that may fit for you as well. I show them in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm89lAqDCqo

If I haven’t covered something, let me know. ๐Ÿ™‚

• #9868 Reply

Ali

How can I avoid a foggy finish when sanding resin casting?

• #9872 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

What grit sandpaper are you using? You need to end with a very fine grit (1000 or above) to avoid sanding lines.

• #16216 Reply

Mike

I am new to resin as well but i think your issue with clouding can be solved by fixing your mixing process. The clouds are due to unmixed portions of one part of the resin or the other. After mixing in a bowl pour your mixture into a second clean bowl and mix a bit more. That should stop the clouding.

• #11630 Reply

larisa Zimin

I am new with resin , but already have some experience . I am using silicone molds , that make very shiny glossy finish pieces at the beginning , but after 3-4 castings all my pieces become matte finished or cloudy . I am using the same resin – low viscosity . The molds don’t last to long – that it , or i make some mistakes ?

Thank you. Larisa

• #11656 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Are you using a mold release?

• #15502 Reply

Kei

I’m not really an expert with resin, but I have been casting with UV resin for awhile. I’ve found that if you use a silicone mold, coat it with a thin layer of some sort of releasing agent (I use corn starch of all things, and it works really nicely for me but it depends on what your end product is going to be) with UV clear resin that I dye wit resin dyes or leave clear, and then use a lamp or the sun to cure it. After that you can sand down anything that isn’t clear to get a more pure color, and for clear resin, and as someone else said, you can add an extra thin layer of resin over the top to create a really clean and crystal clear finish. If you’d like it to be extra shiny, I’ve had a lot of success from also using a sealant or gloss finish, I use liquitex high gloss varnish and after three thinner coats of that it seriously comes out super shiny and clear. If you want things to be foggy in only one place, I’ve used a thin layer of half cured resin over the top, and then used acetone and that will give a dull and foggy appearance but it’ll be more even and controlled.

• #12111 Reply

Patricia Bell

I have experimented with ways to fix cloudy resin pieces after sanding.
    #1 auto body spray made for plastics = good but
    you need to wear a mask and spray in a place set up specifically for spraying, you need adequate ventilation.
    #2 coat with another layer of resin = messy and may require more sanding, a vicious circle.
    #3 clear fingernail polish = YES this works and it’s quick, easy, and cheap. Be careful not to make streaks.
    #4 Sanding will remove cloudiness. You need to get a package of wet-dry sandpaper in grits ranging from 400 to 5000 or 6000. I have a set that has 8 grits graduating from 400 to 5000. It works. As you sand through each grit the piece will remain cloudy but near the end you will see the cloudiness disappearing. Once you use the 5000 grit the cloudiness will be gone. This method is very time consuming but it works.

I prefer the fingernail polish.

• #14356 Reply

Erin

Using nail polish, pieces get yellow overtime and can peel…

• #15180 Reply

Candace

Hi! Iโ€™m also very new to resin jewelry and Iโ€™m having the same cloudy experience. I used a silicone mold and got polishing compound like Iโ€™ve read but itโ€™s still cloudy on the molded side. Should I do a release coating on it first?
    Thanks!

• #15888 Reply

Deanna R Jones

I sprayed resin gloss spray on my finished product to to give it a little shine and try and hide a few imperfections and it clouded it!!! What do i do!!!??

• #15891 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Deanna, I’m sorry to hear the gloss sealer spray did not work out well for you. Do you remember if you sprayed it in a heavy coat?

You can try sanding down the surface, then applying another couple of light coats of the spray.

• #16370 Reply

richard diamond

I sprayed the sealer on the hazy surface of a clear resin slab and it came out more hazy. It worked fine when I sprayed in on a solid color surface. What can be done to restore clarity to hazy clear epoxy slab.

• #16372 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

What kind of resin (epoxy, polyester, etc.) did you use? If it’s an epoxy, you will need to sand it down. If it’s a polyester or polyurethane, you can buff it off with a polishing wheel and compound.

• #28536 Reply

Bella Swan

I can vouch that if the resin is just cloudy on the surface, it can be from too much moisture in the area that you’re doing your resin. Since moving to a climate with higher humidity, my resin constantly has a cloudy finish, caused by the excess moisture in the air.

• #35049 Reply

Anthony

I’m new to casting . I’m using poly resin and it keeps coming out with the outside tacky/sticky.
    I’ve read that you can send it but that’s difficult with fine detail pieces.
    I’ve also read that you can use a resin spray to seal it. Every post says use castin resin spray but I can’t get it in the UK.
    Any recommendations on what alternative I can use please.

Reply To: Castings have a cloudy finish
Your information: