Choosing a resin for furniture decorations

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Kim Hawley.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Paulette:

Hi…I am using silicone molds…they are like furniture decorative molds, all small scrolls, wreaths, flowers etc. I am currently using the “AMAZING” formula, and work in small batches. That being said, sometimes I cant work FAST enough as you only have a couple of minutes. They come out just fine, but I feel I am wasting material? Is there another resin I could use that would give me more working time? I did look at your resin info, but its not really “clear” if I can use another?? I am new at this, so maybe I just cant comprehend your resin info……LOL!!! Can you suggest another material that would work? Longer work time!!Thanks so much!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Paulette,

It sounds like you are using the Alumilite Amazing Casting resin. It does make nice castings, especially for what you want to do, but I do understand it can be a little frustrating having to work with the resin so quickly.

Since you are working the resin in molds, I would suggest the Resin Obsession super clear resin. It has a 25 minute pot time and is specifically designed for molds. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin-6-oz-kit-jewelry-quality-resin This FAQ on the product should answer additional questions: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin-faq

Kim Hawley

Hi Paulette,
        Were did you find the molds for the furniture and what kind of resin are you using? I’ve been wanting to do a project for a couple of stools I have, but I’ve been unsure how to do /mold the seats without having a big mess or unsmooth edges with a crude mold I would make. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Kim

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Choosing a resin for furniture decorations’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube