Clay and Resin tabletop

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dymond

I’m very new to resin so my question may be very elementary. I have a design in mind for a table top. I planned to spray paint the table for the base color, apply a resin layer with pigments, then after partially cured add my clay design so that the original layer of resin art is the background and then add another layer of resin.

Is this even a thing I could do? I haven’t seen any blogs or videos of it so I’m starting to think this idea is ridiculous.

Please help!

Emilia Makhota

Hey Dymond, your idea definitely seems do-able, and, to add on to that, very creative. I only see one problem. The dilemma that I’m currently thinking of is the sides of the table, which could be easily solved if you are planning on letting the resin run down the sides if it overflows. If not, I suggest temporarily placing some kind of plastic around the edges.
      I know for sure that polymer clay can be encased/used in resin, but be wary of air bubbles.
      Other than that, great idea!
      P.S. Also, just a question, will your clay piece be coming out of the resin like a sculpture, or will it be fully covered?

Dymond

Thank you! My clay will be fully covered. I know that i have to bake it first but I was concerned that it may rise in the resin. Since i will be layering it over the first layer of resin I’m unsure how to get it to stay in place.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You can definitely do this. I would let the first layer of resin entirely cure before adding the next layer (with the clay) to make sure you don’t introduce bubbles.

Since you are concerned about your piece rising, you can use some mixed resin as a glue to adhere it to the first layer. Let that cure before applying resin over the entire tabletop.

Dymond K Spain

Won’t letting the first layer cure completely create a line between the layers? I read thay if you don’t wan the line you have to do a partial cure. When you say mixed resin do you just mean a left over small amount? Again, I’m new so I’m sorry if this is basic stuff.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Yes, by letting the first layer of resin cure before applying a second layer, you will see a line. It has been my experience with tabletops, though, that the line is almost unnoticeable since the pours are thin.

and yes, a little bit of ‘leftover’ resin after a pour works great as a glue.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Clay and Resin tabletop’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube