Cloudy resin

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      terri

I thought my resin release was dry, I saw no signs that it wasnt. Yes I do believe my resin did cure.

The mold I am using is a easycast mold and its polypropylene. I am using easycast clear casting epoxy.
      Thanks
      Terri
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Terri:

I just started making resin jewellery. My cousin makes beautiful quilts but is gun shy to get a booth at a craft fair. We have made a deal that if I go with her she will get a table at the biggest one this summer. Unfortunately so far I have had no luck. My first cast was a glass like finish on the back yet any part touching the mould was not. I live in a basement suite and during winter it never gets above 19C or 66F so I got a heater to keep it to just above room temp. I used mould release could this have been the cause?

Katherine Swift

Hi Terri,

If your mold release wasnt dry, that could cause the cloudiness.  It sounds like your resin cured, yes?

What kind of resin and what kind of mold are you using?

Katherine Swift

Terri,

Here are my thoughts:

1.  The mold release may not have been dry.  I like to use a light mist, then let it dry for about 20 to 30 minutes before using the mold.

2.  Even though youre using a space heater, resin does best when the room temperature is in the low to mid 70s F.  Maybe you could try to create a tent or hot box to hold the heat for the resin while its curing.

T

The most common reason for cloudiness in resins is due to moisture.

If your release is water-based and not completely dry, this could potentially cause it. However, you state that you are in a basement environment that doesnt reach temps over 66 degrees. My guess is that is your problem. I would try using a box with a light inside to retain the heat and place your cast inside after its poured.

Also, remember that the catalyst is hydroscopic and will attract and retain moisture.

ANNA V THACHUK

I need my resin pieces to have matte finish, in other words be frosted and not transparent. How do I achieve this?Do I need to do something to the silicone mold? Or something to the resin piece? Thank you!
      Anna

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Anna,

I think the easiest way to do this is to sand your pieces with a fine grit sandpaper after casting. Something 1000 grit or higher will leave a nice matte sheen.

Charlotte Sainsbury

Hi, I have a cloudy piece that I think is due to my mold release not beinng dry. Can I do anything to get rid of the cloudiness now it has all set?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Charlotte, you can try sanding it off and reocating with another layer of resin.

Charlotte Sainsbury

Ok thanks Katherine. I will give it a try. It’s so frustrating because I made another piece without mold release (it was quite a shallow pendant mold) and it still came out like it so it must be thbe humidity I think. Not a lot I can do about that.

busra celikel

I work in layers with epoxy and use colored transparencies. In the environment I work; humidity 65 – 75, temperature 77 F – 86 F, high ceiling.

I slowly mix the epoxy with a wooden spoon in a plastic cup. Clean the molds with acetone and rinse with soap and water. Very tiny bubbles and blur occur on each layer as in the photo. No clarity.

I’m waiting 24 hours between floors. Mix the mixture for 3 minutes and pour a little while waiting. The heat gun does not affect the bubbles because the bubbles are too tiny and they are inside. I’m applying epoxy before I put the papers in. What do you think are the problems?

busra celikel

No, but i used isopropyl alcohol for mold cleaning.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Are you using a mold release?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Cloudy resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube