Coating a bowl on the inside with resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Erin:

Would you please help me with a problem I am having. I am trying to cover some sterling silver bowl-shaped pieces on the INSIDE with Parts A and B and one of the transparent colors. I do not want it all to settle on the bottom, but would like an even application all over the inside. Could you give me some advice on this? Also, would using a blow dryer help?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Erin,

I’m afraid there isn’t an easy way to do this. First, you will want to start with a doming resin. These mix thick enough that they want to stay on a flat surface and not run over the side. (The super clear resin is not a doming resin.) We have several doming resins in our store: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/doming

Next, I would suggest mixing the resin, then letting it sit for closer to the end of the pot time before applying. The thicker it gets before applying, the more likely it is to stay where you put it. The problem with this is that if you introduce air bubbles at this point, you are less likely to get them out.

Unfortunately, there is no way to completely avoid the resin moving and pooling. You can see what I did in this tutorial about applying resin to a tumbler. https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-glitter-and-resin-a-tumbler The tumbler needed to rotate several times during the first hour after application. You will need to do the same thing with putting resin in your bowl.

A blow dryer will help with some with bubbles, but will likely make the pooling worse since the force of the air will push the resin.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Coating a bowl on the inside with resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube