Coating a mold first?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sarah Valentine

Hello I hope you can give me some insight on a project Ill be attempting soon!

Essentially, I will be creating a 3D mold that I wish to give 3 dimensional galaxy glitter decorations on all surfaces. However the shape of the mold isnt going to work the same way that flat back charms do, because the object is molded in such a way that I do not have access to a large flat side of the mold to pour layers one at a time.

My question is, with a solid piece 3D mold, can I pour a small amount of resin inside and “roll” the mold around in my so that an even, thin layer of clear resin goes in first, yet leaving the mold hollow? After this process I would plan to add another layer in the same way with decorations or glitter, let that dry, and do one final pour to fill the mold. For instance, I would pour the first thin layer in clear for the mold coating, let it dry. Next I would use clear resin mixed with glitters, repeat the “coating” process, then let it dry. Finally I would fill the hollow center with black resin to achieve the galaxy effect, but having the beautiful galaxy glitter seen on the entire outer surface of the object.

Any insight into this would be a great help! I would not at any point be removing the mold between layers, it would just be a long process of coating, coating, and filling. I am aware of the danger of bubbles, however the glitters and decorations would be saturated enough that it wouldn’t be a problem for me. Please let me know if this method would possibly be successful and what types of resins could achieve it if it is possible. Thank you!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

No, unfortunately, gravity is going to take over and make the resin come to the bottom. Even if somehow you could remove gravity (international space station road trip maybe?) the resin won’t want to stick to a silicone surface.

If your mold was two halves, you would do better brushing on a doming resin, but it will still pool in places and pull away from others.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Coating a mold first?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube