Coating pieces to restore the shine

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Debbie

I’ve read through the dozens of posts and multiple videos on how to restore shine to an epoxy resin piece after sanding. By far, the best solution has been to add a thin coat of additional resin onto the piece. And that works great if the piece is flat enough to do that. But some of my pieces are rounded enough that painting a thin coat of resin invariably leads to the resin dripping onto the back of the piece. And then I have lumps that need to be sanded off and recoated… which causes the drips on the front…and so on.

That got me thinking of alternatives. One idea which I’ve never seen mentioned would be hanging them to cure.
      Suppose I took my pendant or earring, put a hole in it (which I’ll need anyway), put some nylon or silicone fishing line through the hole and then dunked the entire object into some resin and hung it to cure. I’d end up with a lump of resin on the very bottom but at least it would be only 1 drip in a predictable location. I’m hoping that I’d be able to remove the nylon line after curing and that enough resin would stick to the piece that I wouldn’t have lumpy gaps and that it would clear up the sanded portions.

Any thoughts on that technique? Would it work? I’m guessing I’d need to use one of the thicker viscosity resins.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Debbie,

I applaud your efforts on trying to think of other ways to do this. Awesome!

Unfortunately, not only are your resin charms going to have a drip at the bottom, but the resin is going to pool at the bottom as well. You may notice that the final coat is uneven or maybe not even ‘stuck’ well at the top.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Coating pieces to restore the shine’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube