Colorants for Resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimi

Hello, I’m not sure which topic to post this under but I’m asking here anyways.

From most of the articles I’ve read, even here, it’s usually advised that we color resin using their respective colorants (as per brand). Although I’ve never seen anything that say “only color EasyCast with Castin’ Craft Pigments” I would still like to confirm if we can use other brands? Like can I use Alumilite Dyes for EasyCast Resin?

Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kimi,

That’s a great question and one I’m working on in my experiment series. (Unfortunately, I don’t have enough experiment results yet to share.) Where the trouble comes is that clear resin itself has colors in it to achieve a final clear look. (Resins tend to be a bit on the yellow side whereas the hardeners tend to be on the blue side.) The problem is that one brand’s colorants may interact with another brand’s colors in the resin and/or hardener.

In general, I have had success using one brand’s colorants in another brand’s resin with the exception of Alumilite green. I have found despite everything curing appropriately, when used in at least two different brand of resins, it will turn blue.

At this point you have two choices:

1. When using a brand of resin, be sure to use their colorants.
      2. Experiment a little, knowing you may run into a problem from time to time.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article explains more on how to color clear epoxy resin: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/how-to-color-clear-epoxy-resin/

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Colorants for Resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube