How To Get A Fabulous Resin Finish On Canvas Art

add clear epoxy resin to canvas artHow do you take a canvas print to the next level? By adding a layer of clear epoxy. You’ll love the depth it brings to the art, plus giving it a glossy finish. Here’s how to add resin to your canvas art.

Supply list

Canvas print
Painter’s tape
Nonstick surface covering
Mixing cups
Resin Obsession crystal doming resin
Stir sticks
Safety gloves
Heat gun
Dust cover

adding tape to canvas

Step 1: Prepare the canvas

Run painter’s tape around the bottom edge of the canvas. Press firmly to the surface.

💡 Pro tip: If your canvas is larger than 8 by 10 inches, you’ll need to support the center. If you don’t, it will sag when you add the clear resin layer. The easiest way to do this is by placing wooden paint sticks in the back, between the frame and the canvas.

Give a wipe to the canvas surface to remove any lint, dust bunnies, cat hair, and other fuzzies that can show up in resin.

Step 2: Calculate how much resin you need.

Measure your canvas. Then, put those numbers into this resin calculator. The calculator tells you how much (total) you need to mix. For this canvas, that was about 3 ½ ounces of resin. That means mixing 1 ¾ ounces of Part A resin and the same amount of Part B hardener.

💡 Pro tip: Mix a bit more than you think you need. Then, have some leftover resin projects ready to go if you don’t use it all for your epoxy art.

propping canvas up on plastic cups

Step 3: Elevate the canvas.

Cover your table with a non-stick surface. Then, place four mixing cups on the table. Put your canvas corners on the four mixing cups, ensuring it’s level. There are smartphone apps to help with that. 😉

epoxy resin and hardener in cups

Step 4: Mix resin.

Mix equal amounts of crystal doming resin to get the total amount of epoxy you calculated in step two. Be sure to scrape your cup and stick sides several times while mixing. This ensures your resin is thoroughly blended, which prevents sticky spots on your canvas art.

adding resin to canvas art

Step 5: Add to the canvas

Pour the mixed epoxy onto the canvas.

spreading resin over art canvas

Spread the resin over your canvas art surface with the stirring stick.

spreading clear epoxy resin on canvas art sides

You’ll also need to cover the sides of the canvas. And YES, the resin will drip off your canvas art. That’s why you need the non-stick surface underneath because things can get a little messy.

You can use your fingers to spread the resin, but ONLY IF you’re wearing gloves.

popping bubbles on resin surface with heat gunStep 6: Pop bubbles

Go over the surface of the resin with a heat gun to pop bubbles.

covering canvas while resin cures

Cover your resin surface with a dust cover. Plastic bins work great for this.

peeling tape away from canvas bottom

Step 7: Remove the tape

When the resin is semi-solid but not cured, you need to remove the tape from the back of your art canvas. For the crystal doming resin, this was about 5 hours after mixing the resin. Be extra careful with this step because the resin is dentable. You don’t want to leave marks in your resin that won’t come out when it cures.

Then, set the canvas back onto your cups to finish curing.

cow canvas art print with epoxy resin coating

Ta-da! You just learned how to pour resin on canvas art.

You can see how the resin adds a glossy, reflective shine to the art. It looks like glass.

Okay, resin posse, here are even more details about using resin on canvas art that you’ll find helpful.

Does the temperature matter?

Yes, room temperature is vital to ensuring your resin cures hard. It should be in the low 70s F for the entire curing time.

Can I use any resin to cover canvas art?

Not all resins are suitable for covering canvases. You need to use a doming epoxy resin which means it’s meant for coatings. That’s why the Resin Obsession crystal doming is perfect for this canvas art project. It mixes in a way to give a smooth finish after curing.

Do you have to cover the canvas sides?

Of course not. It’s your project — have it your way. Instead, you can place the painter’s tape on the sides of the canvas. But I like having glossy sides on my art canvases.

Can I use a propane torch for popping bubbles?

Yes, but with caution. I have a healthy respect for fire from my metalsmithing days. I only use a torch on a fireproof surface with a concrete floor underneath. Using a heat gun is much safer for use indoors. Besides, you can use it to make ocean waves in resin.

Why can’t I let the resin cure, then peel off the tape?

Resin isn’t pliable after curing. It’s only when it’s rubbery that you can peel the tape away and leave an even line of resin on your canvas art. If you wait until the resin is completely cured, the tape will have a permanent bond to the canvas.

Where can I hang my resined canvas art?

Anywhere that isn’t in the direct sun and close to heat. That will keep the resin looking its brightest and best for years to come.

What other resin tips should I know?

If your resin is cold, it’s harder to mix, especially without bubbles. Put the resin kit bottles in a warm water bath for 5 to 10 minutes before blending. The liquids will be thinner, making them easier to mix. Plus, bubbles will rise to the surface quicker.

Want more help taking on your first (or next) epoxy project?

Then you’ll want a copy of my ebook, Resin Fundamentals. You can learn the essential details of creating with resin in only a couple of hours. Buy the PDF book now and get a download link in minutes.

Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2023 Resin Obsession, LLC

Like this post? You may be interested in  How to Make A Resin Bangle Bracelet - The EASY way

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube