Covering up a frosty surface on resin

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Denaine:

Good day
      I have recently started experimenting with resin. However, south africa does not have as much supplies available as you do. I am not able to find any moulds so i used a silicone cake mould foe cape pops. I poured my resin and it set well. However, the rounded side is dull and milky looking. If i sanded and painted another layer resin over it would it be corrected? Im still very new at this but do not have anyone to ask for advice.
      Thank you and hope to hear from you soon

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Denaine,

What you describe commonly happens with silicone molds intended for food. Yes, you are correct in that another layer of resin will shine things up nicely. I would experiment with a couple of pieces as you may not need to sand them first. You can try applying another layer of mixed resin without any additional finishing. Know that the resin is going to drip, so plan accordingly. This post on our forum shows how I like to make a drip tray: https://www.resinobsession.com/forums/topic/looking-for-tray-to-help-with-dripping-resin

Denaine

Thank you so much for the reply. I will definitly give it a try.

Jessica

I’m still having trouble getting a finished polish on my resin pieces. I have tried using a drying mat with another layer of resin but it drips and ruins the other side, if i polish the drip parts off then the resin turns cloudy again and I have to put another layer of resin then get dripping on the other side again so its a never ending drip battle. So then I bought Novus polishing, that did work on some small pieces but not where I had to sand a lot off, again I’m left with frosty look. So then I bought the Resin Spray finish seal and that ruined all of my pieces =( Just left with a bunch of frosty pendants. I’m getting very frustrated, please help!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jessica, what grit sandpapers are you using to sand your resin pieces?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article explains how to fix cloudy and frosty surfaces on resin: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/how-to-fix-cloudy-resin-cloudy-resin-fixes/

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Covering up a frosty surface on resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube