Creating a mold for resin artwork

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Jack:

I am looking to make 3d artwork using clear epoxy resin and painting inbetween layers of epoxy resin. I have seen your information on silicon resin moulds and think this would be the best cast for me to use. The problem is, considering the size of each piece and the time it would take to complete the entire painting, im not sure if i may encounter problems – so am looking for your expert advice!

The pieces I am looking to create are a3 in size, simple rectangular shape. i believe that completion of each piece will take around about 2-3 months (as i work 80 hours a week most weeks unfortunately) and each will be extremely complex in nature. Here are a few questions im struggling to answer, and its really hard finding info online:

Would a silicon mould of this size encounter any problems over a 3 month timeframe?

Will the size be a problem when removing the finished piece from the mould?

Will the silicon mould react in a negative way at all?

Is there anything else i should look out for?

I want the finihsed piece to be entirely transparent, thats why im choosing not to use a wood frame for a mold. Like i said, i am completely new to this medium and have been reading a lot of your content to get me up to speed – thankyou very much indeed. Any info you have for me would be greatly appreciated – id love to send you videos/pics of my finished piece to get your opinions – and maybe a piece in the post as a thankyou for sharing all your knowledge!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jack,

In a nutshell, a silicone mold this size should do fine for your project. If the silicone is made correctly in the beginning (mixed well, fully cured, etc.) and properly stored (out of direct sunlight, away from heat, etc.) it should last two years or more. Your piece might be heavy, but I would expect it to release from the mold just fine assuming your resin cured properly.

Can I give you a another idea to consider? Instead of making a silicone mold for your item, perhaps you could start with a clear base (likely clear acrylic), then use a good quality masking or painters tape to create a tape dam around the piece. Since it sounds like you are pouring in many layers over several months, you can remove the tape and attach a new one to move higher on your piece as necessary. There will be a bit of frostiness where the tape was which you can cover by brushing on a layer of doming resin and allowing it to cure. Doing it this way would save you the time and expense of creating a silicone mold. Just a thought….

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Creating a mold for resin artwork’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube