Creating a tray with seashells and sand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Yvonne:

I am making a wedding gift for a friend and I have a wooden try that is 10.5? x 17.5? x  3/4?h (approx. to the openings for the handles).  I want to have colored sand and seashells in the bottom of the tray, in resin, so they will not move.  How do I pour the resin over it without the sand shifting?  Is there a technique someone could share with me so I do not ruin this project? 

Katherine Swift

I would suggest using the techniques discussed in this forum post:

https://www.resinobsession.com/Resin-Jewelry-Making-Forum/4/Resin-Troubleshooting/Tray-Help/1038.html

To add the sand, I would pour the resin first, then add the sand.  You can see what Im talking about in this tutorial.  https://www.resinobsession.com/Resin-Tutorials/248/Seashell-resin-jewelry-and-magnets.html

Plan on pouring several layers to get the thickness you want.

Good luck!

Katherine Swift

Thanks so much for sharing Yvonne!  Experience has been my best teacher as well.  I hope to hear about you making more trays in the future.

Yvonne

I just want to share my experience about this project (since it was mine) and is also the 1st time I have ever worked with resin. 

1.  The wooden tray had a zig-zag kind of pattern on the bottom that is slightly visible through the sand and resin so what Ive learned about that is to paint the bottom the same color as what I want it to be if there is a pattern I would rather not see when finished.  Or, if possible, start with something that does not have a pattern.
      2.  If you are putting sand on the bottom of the tray, apply a thin layer of glue then sprinkle the sand (I used colored sand, not beach sand) until it completely covers the glue (kind of like sprinkling flour in a greased pan) and when it dries, gently pour off the excess sand.
      3.  This is one I didnt do but know better for the next time.  If you are putting seashells or anything light that you dont want to move, either glue it to the bottom before you add the sand OR hot wax it to the bottom before you glue the bottom.
      4.  If anything you are going to use is dyed, you might want to seal it so the color doesnt fade or disappear.  I used colored starfish and the color did fade out a little bit  They also created tiny clusters of air bubbles after a while that I have very carefully opened up in the hopes that on my final pour, will fill in and not be noticeable.
      The sand did not shift or move when I poured the resin over the top which was my biggest concern.
      Overall, I am very happy with the outcome, its beautiful and I am proud enough to have my friend give it as a wedding gift.
      I also want to thank Katherine for posting my question and guiding me to the forum.  Im sure as I go forward I will use this source quite often.  
      If anyone is interested in seeing a picture of the finished tray you can send an email to yvonnesnextchapter@gmail.com but please put RESIN TRAY in the subject line or I might not respond.
      Thank you
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Creating a tray with seashells and sand’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube