Difference between silicone baking molds and silicone resin molds

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Melissa:

I have a dumb question. What are the differences, if any, between the silicone baking molds and the silicone resin molds?

See my idea is to make beachy themed “tiles” that we can eventually use to redo out kitchen floor. I’m not sure if it will work, but figured research and asking questions here would be a good place to start.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Not a dumb question at all! The simplest answer is that you can cast resin in both.

However….

Here’s a few things you should know first:

1. Once you use a baking mold for resin, you should not use it for baking again.
      2. Baking molds generally produce resin castings that have a frosted or dull surface. Prepare yourself that you will either need to glaze your castings with another layer of resin or our resin gloss sealer spray works well too: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray?variant=965319185
      3. It has been my experience that silicone baking molds tend to dry rot after a couple of years. Resin molds usually last longer.

Melissa

Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Difference between silicone baking molds and silicone resin molds’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube