Resin Obsession – Resin Art, Crafts & Jewelry Supplies › Forums › Resin Techniques › Do essential oils break down resin?
- This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by Selena.
- August 22, 2017 at 11:09 pm #9913
This question comes from Stacy:
Looking for opinions on resin pendants with a slit/hole and putting a felt pad in it with essential oils on it to have a diffuser neckless. Would the essential oils brake down the resin?
- August 22, 2017 at 11:10 pm #9914
Great question! I would expect them to be impermeable right away, but I don’t know long term. Let me see if I can poll my panel of experts for help.
- August 24, 2017 at 1:41 pm #9942
Both the chemists I spoke with have not tested using essential oils in resin, but expect that it should not permeate a cured resin surface.
- August 26, 2017 at 5:41 am #9965Rhonda J HunterGuest
I have earrings made like this from Avon, many years old, mostly resin, and they are still like new. (can’t get the little diffuser pads any more):(
- March 7, 2019 at 12:57 pm #34179MaryGuest
I have tried to use the essential oils with the resin, and it makes the resin very stick, and does not harden correctly. I’m thinking on trying to use a blank piece of air freshener paper on the back of the item, to see how that works. I guess I’ll try and use an adhesive to adhere the card to the resin. What do you think?
- September 13, 2019 at 12:46 am #82391SelenaGuest
This is to Mary, if you use oils in UV resin, and it comes out sticky with the oils, cure it both with a UV light AND the sunlight. Do one for 5 then the other for 5, this should help with stickiness.