Do essential oils break down resin?

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 8 months ago by isabelle cerceau brandão.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Stacy:

Looking for opinions on resin pendants with a slit/hole and putting a felt pad in it with essential oils on it to have a diffuser neckless. Would the essential oils brake down the resin?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Stacy,

Great question! I would expect them to be impermeable right away, but I don’t know long term. Let me see if I can poll my panel of experts for help.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Stacy,

Both the chemists I spoke with have not tested using essential oils in resin, but expect that it should not permeate a cured resin surface.

Rhonda J Hunter

I have earrings made like this from Avon, many years old, mostly resin, and they are still like new. (can’t get the little diffuser pads any more):(

Mary

I have tried to use the essential oils with the resin, and it makes the resin very stick, and does not harden correctly. I’m thinking on trying to use a blank piece of air freshener paper on the back of the item, to see how that works. I guess I’ll try and use an adhesive to adhere the card to the resin. What do you think?

Selena

This is to Mary, if you use oils in UV resin, and it comes out sticky with the oils, cure it both with a UV light AND the sunlight. Do one for 5 then the other for 5, this should help with stickiness.

isabelle cerceau brandão

Hello! I came to the site hoping to find an answer about essential oils spoiling the cured resin pieces.
      I found no answers.
      did someone test putting a few drops of essential oil on resin pendents? I would like to make diffuser necklaces to use essential oil, where there is a hole to drip the oils and use to aromatherapy. however, some people have told me that the resin is not resistant to essential oil.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Do essential oils break down resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube